My Fifo Family Fruity Christmas Slice
This is a great recipe that the kids can help with. Not only does it makes plenty, so there is more than enough to eat for afternoon tea and wrap as gifts, you can throw just about anything into it! I like to change it up a bit with oats, ground almond, sesame and hemp seeds and even grated beetroots!
- 750g dried fruits ( I like to use sultanas, blueberries, goji berries and dates)
- 2 medium size carrots grated
- 2 cups 100% fruit juice (no added sugar)
- ½ cup of trail or seed mix
- 2/3 cup of coconut
- 2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp nutmeg (optional)
Preheat oven to 130’C. Soak fruits, coconut and carrots in juice for at least an hour. Using a wooden spoon and a larger bowl mix in all other ingredients. Spoon into a large lined baking tin and even out to around 3cm in depth. Bake for 2 hrs at the bottom of your oven. When a knife comes out clean from the centre of the slice remove from the oven and allow to cool. Turn out onto an airing rack once cooled, then slice into squares to be wrapped or eaten!